27 September 2018
Guangdong Technion - Israel Institute of Technology (GTIIT), China & Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
The Environmental Engineering Program (group of Prof. Achal) is looking for one PhD student to conduct experimental research project related to bioremediation of e-waste sites. Contract duration: 3 + 1 years.
Environmental pollution by electronic waste poses a threat to the environment and to human health. It contains many toxic metals including copper, nickel, lead, and chromium among others. Considering serious consequences on human health including both kids and adults, it is very important to treat e-waste sites with appropriate remediation process. The overall goal of project is to elucidate bio-mediated solution for such remediation, where research will involve from practice, for practice, and beyond practice. Our laboratory is equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation facilities to carryout basic to advanced bio-chemical based remediation mechanisms and processes. We work in a collaborative international environment.
Heavy metals, organics, soil characterization, environmental chemistry, environmental microbiology, bioremediation, phytoremediation.
- Master degree in Environmental Engineering or related fields (essential)
- Strong background in soil characterization and remediation for pollutants (essential)
- Vast experiences in using instruments such as ICP-MS, SEM-EDS, XRD, and FTIR (essential)
- Strong interest to work temporarily in overseas labs (essential)
- Good communication skills and good command of English (essential)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment (essential)
- Ability to author scientific reports and co-author scientific publications (essential)
- Published one or more impactful research papers in SCI journal(s) from previous research (essential)
- The PhD candidate must fulfill the requirements for admission to the Technion Graduate School and needs to comply with its regulations leading to the Ph.D./Master degree: https://graduate.technion.ac.il/en/prospective-students/