The Physics Program at GTIIT (the theory group of Prof. Xinpeng Xu) is looking for 1-2 Research Fellows/Postdoctors to conduct theoretical and computational research projects in soft matter and biological physics. Contract duration: 2 - 3 years
Soft matter and biological physics: Our group study the structure, phase behavior and dynamics of systems such as drops, polymer solutions, polymer gels, colloidal suspensions, bacterial suspensions, and animal cells, using the approaches of statistical thermodynamics. Through our interactions with experimental groups, the theory is applied to problems of wetting dynamics, microphase separation, elasticity of polymer gels, self-assembly in active suspensions, mechanical interactions between cells and between cells and their extracellular matrix, mechanical aspects of tissue morphogenesis etc.
Depending on the interests of the applicant the project could be mainly theoretical or combination of numerical simulations with analytical works; and would focus on one of the following two distinct yet related research areas:
The first concerns "active" soft matter, maintained far from equilibrium by internal energy sources, e.g., swarms of self-propelled colloidal particles or microbes. The main aim is to pursue a physical understanding of active dynamics, hydrodynamic interactions, and rheology taking place in the complex environments that are relevant to biological suspensions.
The second concerns the mechanical aspects of animal cells & tissues. This project belongs to the emerging research field -- mechanobiology at the interface of biology and engineering, which aims to understand how physical forces and changes in the mechanical properties of cells and tissues contribute to development, cell differentiation, physiology, and disease. Our group focuses on the mechanical (particularly elastic) interactions between cells and their extracellular matrix, matrix-mediated cell-cell interactions, self-organization (say, morphogenesis) of cellular assemblies like cell arrays and cellular mono- and multiple-layers etc.
soft matter, biological physics, active matter, mechanobiology, cell mechanics; drops, polymers, gels, colloidal suspensions, bacteria, cells.
- PhD degree in Physics or Mechanics, Material Science, Physical Chemistry (essential)
- Strong background in soft condensed matter physics (preferable)
- Strong interest in biological physics (essential)
- Strong interest to work with experimental groups (essential)
- Good communication skills, good command of English (essential)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment (essential)
- Ability to author scientific reports and co-author scientific publications (essential)
- Salary range: up to $49,000 / year (depending on qualifications of the candidate)
- Subsidized housing at GTIIT, China
- Health insurance: regular cover for Chinese citizens or private health insurance for foreigners
- Professional conference travel allowance
- Application deadline: 31 May 2018
- Send below required documents electronically to: email@example.com
- Curriculum vitae and personal statements
- A publication list
- Three letters of recommendation (one from the mentor for PhD and/or Master’s studies)
- A short research plan outline (up to one page in length)
- Degree certificates with certified English translation for both the PhD and Master’s degrees