Independent GT User
Common GT User
EM Training Regulations
- Graduate students who have studied the relevant theory are welcome to contact the EM Center for training. The user may apply for one EM (SEM/FIB/TEM) training at a time.
- The duration of a training package (including the exam) for the SEM, SEM+EBSD, FIB, and TEM is 8 hours, 11 hours, 16 hours, and 16 hours respectively. The training fee per hour is equivalent with the fee per hour for common GT user. Each training package permits no more than two users to study at the same time.
- The EM training exam has two sections: operation assessment and safety theory. A user who has successfully passed both sections is then permitted to independently operate the EM they have qualified for.
- If the user fails to pass the exam within the duration of the training package, he/she needs to apply for additional sessions for practice and an additional exam.
- SEM independent users can apply for another EM training, after safe and independent operation on SEM for ≥20 hours and ≥10 times.
- FIB independent users can apply for another EM training, after safe and independent operation on FIB for ≥30 hours and ≥10 times.
- TEM independent users can apply for another EM training, after safe and independent operation on TEM for ≥40 hours and ≥20 times.
- Any EM independent user who does not operate the EM independently within 3 months, needs to take the exam again before independent use.
- Any EBSD independent user who does not operate the EBSD independently within 3 months, needs to take the EBSD exam again before EBSD independent use.
- If the user triggers a safety alarm or causes damage to the EM due to improper operation during independent use, their independent operation qualification will be revoked.
- Any direct or indirect costs associated with damage during independent use of EMs must be paid by the user’s PI.
- After one-month restriction, the restricted user can reapply for EM training (optional) and exam (required) to become an independent user once more.
- During the restricted period, the user can still make a reservation as a common user.